Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Design Now 2009

National Graduate Exhibition
Melbourne Museum
Until 22 Nov 2009


Showcased young designers from across Australia. Australia’s young design graduates who have competed with fellow students to exhibit their work in Design Now.

The first thing I’d like to point out in this exhibition is that the curating was appalling it was so dark and the over use of hard light gave me a headache and I felt drained and could handle being in there for long periods of time. I felt it necessary to go check out farlap next door in order to change my mood.

Well now that I’ve got that out of the way, I’m was overcome by awe at this exhibition but I did find some of the designs to be really cool, and some...........Well not so cool.

I’ll start with the not so cool. The only one I felt it necessary to mention.

Naomi Fogel
Design: “Sound Bubble”
I found that although it looked pretty cool, I failed to see from a technical side what was so good about it, and found myself wondering why it was there...
Why was it so much better than what there already is?
How would it carry the base line and top end, any better that any other design?

The Following are some of the “Cool” Designs I found in the exhibition.

Renata Carmicheal
Design: “psecdofelis Majestica” and
“Candis Domesticus”
I understand and appreciate this design and the idea behind it. The design that bring man best friend even closer to human society in an inanimate way. Celebrating the form of man’s best friend. It earns the cred for being cool in its funk aesthetics whilst still be ergonomic and practical (like a 65’ VW beetle)

Photobucket

Alex Nicholl’s
Design: “Maritime Museum”
The idea of a “dramatic entrance incorporating a vast boat graveyards” or a “sculptor garden” of period maritime boats and ships, this would be a great idea and would set the mood. That mood being of awe and wonder of a time and era, that most people would not be awear of, and a took to educate the future generations in a captivating style.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Christina Waterson
Design: “Plexa#Form’s 2007”
Using Natural resources and a unique style the “Plexa” series are cool way of “personalizing ones surrounding” - as its soul reason is to look good and at to the surrounding I found it did this really well.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Henry Wilson
Design: “Bedrock Float”
Is an excellent partnership between aesthetics and ergonomics, ustalising cement’s properties in redirecting heat, that heat gained from the light itself, that light being “traditional Edison bullb”. In doing so, celebrating the bulb’s playful and much loved form.

Photobucket

Photobucket

and some others iI found really cool for no apparent reason

Photobucket

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment